If you are heading for a weekend away or even a few day adventure trip, there are multiple additions in terms of 4×4 vehicle accessories you can put on your vehicle to make your trip that much more enjoyable. Though, many are optional so the big question is deciding which ones you really need. However, safety should always be your number 1 priority, and before considering an off-road journey you need to make sure your vehicle is in good working order. Nobody should take the risk of not being able to continue the journey, especially when you go to a remote area where help might not be immediate.
When you know your car is functioning properly and, you can start thinking about 4×4 vehicle accessories to take with you on your trip. Being able to rely on your car and having the accessories that make it easier and safer to use are the two main things to keep in mind when going on an off-road adventure.
There are hundreds if not thousands of 4×4 vehicle accessories you can choose from, yet we recommend buying for your next trip the following four:
New 4×4 suspension kit
Your vehicle’s current suspension may be deteriorated from previous off-road adventures on rough terrain. Even though modern vehicles have advanced suspension kits, problems still occur from time to time. Signs that you should change your suspension kit include: poor wheel alignment, noticing more bouncing after a bump, hearing a knocking sound when going over bumps, having one corner of the car lower than the others (sign of a damaged spring), and hearing squeaking and creaking sounds when turning.
However, even if you don’t notice any of these signs in your vehicle, it is still recommended to have a new suspension kit with you just in case anything happens. It doesn’t take up a lot of space in your car’s trunk and it can make, on the other hand, the difference between an awful trip and a perfectly pleasant off-road journey. Chances of damaging your suspension system are higher when you travel off-road on technical tracks, and you may need to change a component of you suspension even if you knew it to be in good condition.
The safest option is to buy a new suspension as driving with a damaged, old one can be unsafe and uncomfortable as you will feel the bumps more. The car’s suspension has the role of enhancing passenger comfort as well as providing steering ability, and we think both things are equally important.
Off-road driving lamps
If going for a trip longer than a day, there will be a period of time of driving in the dark. Sometimes depending on where you go, there may not be many street lights and a normal car light isn’t bright enough.
The solution is to put these lamp lights at the front of your vehicle to provide you with better sight and more light. Off-road driving lamps are among the most useful 4×4 vehicle accessories because they can be used as a backup in case your vehicle’s normal light damages or breaks. They are made with stronger material to be able to sustain the bumpy terrain and are available in multiple types: halogen, HID (high-intensity discharge), and LED.
LED off-road lights are preferred by most of our customers at MNF 4×4 as they provide the following benefits:
- Durability – because LED light bulbs are rather circuit boards than light bulbs per se, they are better at handling impacts and vibrations, which can be very harmful for most bulbs;
- Saving energy – LED lighting is slightly more expensive to purchase, but on the long term is cheaper because it uses approximately 10% of the energy required by a halogen bulb to provide the same level of brightness. A LED bulb will last from 20,000 to 40,000 hours – they may even outlast your truck!
- Optimal illumination – is created by using light bars which combine the power of a spotlight and a fog light, while being attached to places like the truck’s bumper, roof, or grille. LED lamps are simply the best option because they are bright enough to be used when there is mist outside.
- Versatility – LED bulbs can be mounted almost anywhere on your vehicle, which provides efficiency in providing visibility.
The recovery strap is one of the most vital 4×4 vehicle accessories because it allows you to get your car out when stuck on uneven ground. Any outdoor enthusiast should keep one of these items in their vehicles in case of emergency.
Before shopping for a recovery strap, you should know the difference between a recovery strap and a towing strap. The former is made of nylon that can stretch, has loops on either end, and is most times used to recover a vehicle that is immobilised. The latter is made of polyester with little to no stretch value, has a hook on each end, and is used for towing a vehicle behind another. The tow strap is not recommended for recovery because the lack of stretch increases the chances that the strap could snap, with the hooks causing damage to your vehicle or injury to passengers/bystanders.
Buying a recovery strap for your 4×4 vehicle means you need to pay attention to breaking capacity – the strap should be able to handle the weight of your vehicle. Choose a strap made of high-quality materials for your safety but also for benefits like durability, weather resistance, and ease of use. There are many products that may look sturdy, but are not suitable for heavy vehicles and may fail after several uses. Also, the most expensive strap is not necessarily the best one, so conduct extensive research before making any purchase and also ask for help from 4×4 vehicle accessories experts like the ones at MNF 4×4.
The air compressor
Air compressors are widely used in off-roading; they actually are small electric motors pumping out large quantities of pressurised air. Most air compressors generate between 100 and 200 psi (pounds per square inch) of pressure and run off of the vehicle’s 12-volt power supply. The compressor can either be permanently mounted to the vehicle or stored in a portable toolbox. These 4×4 vehicle accessories have a variety of uses, including:
- Inflating tires – you can deflate with confidence when away from town, knowing that you can pump your tires back up when necessary. The optimum tire pressure changes when you face off-road conditions, thus making the compressor a must-have for any 4×4 vehicle lover.
- Cleaning parts – air compressors are also used to blast compressed air on filthy, hard to reach engine parts.
- Powering air lockers – air compressors can instantly lock the differential on all four tires, ensuring intense traction over extreme terrain.
- Inflating camping equipment and river rafts – this definitely makes your camping trip a lot more enjoyable and eliminates the need of an additional electric pump for inflating your sleeping pad or pillow.
If you don’t have all these essential 4×4 vehicle accessories stored and waiting to be used in your car’s trunk, you can find them at MNF 4×4 and also benefit from expert advice on which accessory to choose from the wide range we have available. If your checklist is complete, we can still help with other accessories that may not be vital, but can make your trip more comfortable and pleasant, like bull bars, refrigerators, drawers, battery systems, roof racks, and camping equipment. We also have an experienced installation team available to assist with accessories that need to be installed/mounted on your vehicle. Check our 4×4 vehicle accessories on the MNF 4×4 website and contact us confidently for any inquiry!